Monday, September 26, 2016

Bible Study

I was invited to participate in a Bible study at my church. As usually happens with these sorts of things, I was hesitant because I know I get a really bad attitude when it comes to curricular Bible studies. Inevitably I find something wrong with the author's spelling or grammar or logic and it makes me want to argue. I agreed to this Bible study and I've been trying to keep a good attitude, but I'm finding it very difficult.

For one thing, I find the author extremely condescending. There are questions at the end of each chapter, which is important for a Bible study. But these seem written for middle school students, not adults.

Then there's the grammatical mistake in his acknowledgements sections. It's just so hard to read something written by someone who doesn't know which "there/their/they're" to use.

And then there's Judas.  I really resent the way the author assumes he knows exactly what was going on in Judas's mind and heart after he betrayed Jesus. I particularly resent the statement "He refused to accept responsibility for his crimes against a holy God." Excuse me? I don't think this is a statement you can make. [Mat 27:3-5 KJV] 3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What [is that] to us? see thou [to that]. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Rant over for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment